Trinity           

"Celebrating 150 Years"


OUR STORY

Our Story

The United Church of Christ (UCC) is a distinct and diverse community of Christians that come together as one church to join faith and action.  With over 5,000 churches and nearly one million members across the U.S., the UCC serves God in the co-creation of a just and sustainable world.  The UCC is a church of firsts, a church of extravagant welcome, and a church where "…they may all be one" (John 17:21).


Church of Firsts

Since 1957, the United Church of Christ has been the church of firsts, weaving God’s message of hope and extravagant welcome with action for justice and peace. Together, we live out our faith in ways that effect change in our communities.  The UCC's many "firsts" mean that we have inherited a tradition of acting upon the demands of our faith.  When we read in Galatians: "There is no longer Jew or Greek, there is no longer slave or free, there is no longer male and female; for all of you are one in Christ Jesus"—a demand is made upon us. And so we were the first historically white denomination to ordain an African-American, the first to ordain a woman, the first to ordain an openly gay man, and the first Christian church to affirm the right of same-gender couples to marry. We were in the forefront of the anti-slavery movement and the Civil Rights movement.  Our response to the demands of our faith is woven into the history of our country.

Extravagant Welcome

Today, we continue to change lives throughout the world. We work alongside more than 200 mission partners. We labor ceaselessly to fight injustice, in the United States and abroad. We instill our vision into our youth and young adults, forging leaders who will imagine new dreams. And we sustain and develop church leaders, pastors, and our local churches to live their faith in exciting new ways.  We believe in a God that is still speaking, a God that is all-loving and inclusive.  We are a church that welcomes and accepts everyone as they are, where your mind is nourished as much as your soul.


We are a church where Jesus the healer meets Jesus the revolutionary, and where together, we grow a just and peaceful world.

Trinity's History

In 1835, the German population of Tamaqua built a Church on Dutch Hill, St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran, Zion’s Lutheran, St. John’s reformed and Trinity Reformed Churches.  Twelve men and their families left the church after the sermon of the then current pastor of St. John’s sharply criticized the well attended prayer meetings established by the former Pastor, Rev. Levi K. Derr, and after some very spirited language was exchanged.These men, in devotion to what they held precious to their spiritual life, united to establish this congregation.The men were Peter Hartman, Mathias Haldeman, August Wetterau, L. F. Fritsch, Jacob Eisenacher, George Eckhardt, Daniel Shepp, Edward Keston, Jacob Wettereau, George Bauer, Henry Fetzer, and Jacob Schmauch.The constitution of the new church was adopted August 29, 1867.  Land for the church was donated by Daniel Shepp and it was built on the site of our parking lot on the corner of Lafayette and Washington Streets in 1867.


  • 1892-Building raised one story.  Set of Bell Chimes purchased.
  • 1910-Building enlarged and faced with brick, new windows and carpeting.
  • 1919-Purchased and Austin Organ.
  • 1927-Installed new front doors.
  • 1928-Chapel was built.
  • 1961-Present church was dedicated, cost approximately $350,000.
  • 1961-Bell Chimes installed in skeleton tower.Austin organ rebuilt.
  • 1963-Five new bells added to chime.Two old bells were retired.
  • 1967-Endowment fund established.Celebrated our 100th Anniversary.
  • 1970-Church completely paid off.
  • 1973-Parsonage constructed.
  • 1975-Parsonage completely paid off.
  • 1983-Parking lot was constructed to rear and east of Church.
  • 1986-Parking lot completely paid off.Church office renovated.
  • 1991-Pastor’s office enlarged and remodeled.
  • 1992-Celebrated our 125th Anniversary.
  • Started the Friends in Need Food pantry.
  • 1992-New Flag Pole Installed
  • 1993-Purchased new computer for church office.
  • 1994-Brotherhood celebrated 50th Anniversary.
  • 1995-Carpeted the church.



The following pastors have served Trinity well:


  • Rev. Mr. Levi K. Derr 1867-1868
  • Rev. Mr. I. E. Graeff 1868-1873
  • Rev. Mr. John Hartman 1873-1879
  • Rev. Dr. John J. Fisher 1880-1913
  • Rev. Mr. Edwin M. Sando 1913 (2 mos.)
  • Rev. Dr. Arthur C. Thompson 1913-1945
  • Rev. Mr. John A. Kleinginna 1945-1958
  • Rev. Mr. Joseph H. Miller 1958-1979
  • Rev. Mr. Walter S. Hengen, Jr. 1979-1980 (Interim)
  • Rev. Dr. Eugene Wratchford 1980-1986
  • Rev. Dr. Gilbert Bartholomew 1986-1987 (Interim)
  • Rev. Mr. Jeffrey D. Mettler 1987-1990
  • Rev. Mr. Wilbur C. Albright 1990-1994 (Interim)
  • Rev. Dr. David W. Grant 1994-2011
  • Rev. Thomas Reinsel  2011-2012 (Interim)
  • Rev. Darryl Kensinger 2013- present